The UP Institute of Creative Writing (ICW) is now accepting submissions for the seventh issue of Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature, the Philippines’ leading literary peer-reviewed journal.
Published annually with funding by the Office of the Chancellor of UP Diliman, the journal features the best of new and unpublished Philippine writing in English and Filipino. Submissions to the journal undergo a strict pre-screening and blind refereeing process by both the editors and a panel of referees composed of eminent writers and critics from within and outside UP.
The ICW fellows and associates take turns as its issue editor. Previous editors of the journal are ICW director Jose Y. Dalisay Jr., National Artist for Literature Virgilio S. Almario, former ICW director and former UP Vice-President for Public Affairs Cristina Pantoja Hidalgo, award-winning writer Pedro ‘Jun’ Cruz Reyes, Dr. Roland Tolentino, dean of the College of Mass Communication and UP University Professor Emeritus Dr. Gémino H. Abad.
National Artist for Literature and ICW adviser Bienvenido Lumbera will serve as issue editor, while distinguished fictionists Jun Cruz Reyes and Charlson Ong are the associate editors.
The guidelines follow:
1. For its seventh issue, Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature will accept submissions in the following genres, in both English and Filipino:
- Short stories ranging from about 12 to 30 pages double-spaced, in 11-12 points Times Roman, New York, Palatino, Book Antique, Arial or some such standard font. (A suite of short prose pieces will be considered.)
- A suite of four to seven poems, out of which the editors might choose three to five. (Long poems will be considered in lieu of a suite.)
- Creative nonfiction (essays, memoirs, profiles, etc.), subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above).
- Critical/scholarly essays, subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above)
- Excerpts from graphic novels, or full short graphic stories, for reproduction in black and white on no more than 10 printed pages, 6” x 9.” (Excerpts should be accompanied by a synopsis of the full narrative.)
2. All submissions must be original, and previously unpublished.
3. All submissions must be accompanied by a biographical sketch (no more than one or two short paragraphs) of the author, including contact information (address, telephone number, e-mail address).
4. Submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or posted to The Editors, Likhaan Journal, UP Institute of Creative Writing, Rizal Hall, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 1101.
5. All submissions should be received (whether by e-mail or post) no later than April 5, 2013.
6. All submissions will undergo a strict pre-screening and blind refereeing process by the editors, and a panel of referees composed of eminent writers and critics from within and outside the University of the Philippines.
7. Writers whose work will be accepted for publication will receive a substantial cash payment and a copy of the published journal.
8. The editors reserve the right to edit any and all materials accepted for publication.
9. The editors may also solicit or commission special, non-refereed articles for publication outside of the aforementioned genres and categories to enhance the editorial content and balance of the journal.
10. Please direct any and all inquiries to the editors at email@example.com.