The Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas (UMPIL, or Writers Union of the Philippines) has opened the nominations for its annual Gawad Pambansang Alagad ni Balagtas. The lifetime achievement awards will be given on August 31, 2013, during the annual UMPIL convention.
Founded in 1974, UMPIL is the largest organization of Filipino writers in the country.
CRITERIA FOR NOMINATION
Living Filipino writers who have contributed outstanding works in any language currently used in the Philippines.
• Writers who have dedicated their lives and talents to the development, propagation, and promotion of any Philippine literature.
• Writers accepted and recognized by their peers or by their leaders for their significant pioneering work or their contribution to the enrichment of their particular literary form.
• Writers nominated by respected literary groups or institutions, by at least two members of the UMPIL Gawad Search Commitee.
• Each nomination must contain proper documentation or requirements nominee’s literary career, his/her biodata, and recent photo for nominations (passport size, four copies).
• Nomination must be submitted on or before 31 May 2013 to the Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas, c/o Likhaan: UP Institute of Creative Writing, 2/F Bulwagang Rizal, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines.