Kritika Kultura, the refereed e-journal of language and literary/cultural studies of the Department of English, Ateneo de Manila University, is holding a lecture by Joan Barclay Lloyd. The event—part of the Kritika Kultura Lecture Series—features Lloyd’s paper titled “Saint Catherine of Siena’s Tomb and its Place in S. Maria sopra Minerva, Rome: Narration, Translation, and Veneration,” and will be on Dec. 2, 2013, 4:30 to 6:00 p.m. at Pardo de Tavera Room, Old Rizal Library, Ateneo de Manila University.
Lloyd’s abstract reads: “When Catherine of Siena died in Rome on April 29, 1380, her body was taken to the Dominican church of S. Maria sopra Minerva. There she was given temporary burial, before being translated to a first monumental tomb erected before 1382. In 1430 a new effigy was made, and her tomb was located in a prominent place in the chapel south of the sanctuary. After Catherine’s canonization in 1461, she was raised to the altar of the chapel, a new marble coffin being provided. This was re-located to a position under that altar after the victory of Lepanto in 1571, when the chapel was dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary.
“In the re-structuring of the church in the mid-nineteenth century, Saint Catherine’s tomb was transferred to a location under the high altar of the church, where it is today. At that time changes were made to the effigy of the saint and the stone sarcophagus on which it rests. In the year 2000 the monument was restored. This paper considers the narration of Saint Catherine’s death, burial, and translations in historical documents. The appearance of her tomb, at various times, is analysed in relation to its artistic style and form, comparisons being made with other ancient and early Renaissance sepulchral monuments. The location of the tomb sheds light on the use of the sacred space in the church by the Dominican Friars and the public. It also reveals how Saint Catherine has been venerated from 1380 until the present.”
Joan Barclay Lloyd was born in Zambia, where she attended a Dominican school. She studied History and Art History at the University of London, completing her doctoral thesis on “The Medieval Church and Canonry of San Clemente, Rome” in 1980. For over twenty-six years she taught Art History at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia, where she is still a Research Associate. Her research focuses on ecclesiastical art and architecture in medieval Rome, and also on churches in Melbourne. She has published articles in international journals and five books, the last being Ss. Vincenzo e Anastasio at Tre Fontane near Rome (Kalamazoo, 2006). She is currently working on Dominican architecture in medieval Rome. She is a member of the Emmanuel Community, and a Fellow of the Pierre Goursat Institute. She is a Research Fellow of the British School at Rome, and a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities.
This event is co-organized with the Fine Arts Program of the School of Humanities, Ateneo de Manila University.