The ASEAN Young Writers Award is the region’s literary prize jointly established in Thailand by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Organizing Committee of the S.E.A. Write Award in collaboration with the S.E.A. Write network and the Faculty of Liberal Arts of Mahidol University.
On eve of ASEAN Economic Community, the new prize is introduced with the objectives to promote a new generation of literary talents, strengthen the region’s cultural ties and instill the love of reading and writing among the young people of Thailand and around the region. It also serves as a lasting tribute of the 35th Anniversary Celebration of SEA Write Award and the occasion that Bangkok was designated 13th World Book Capital by the World Book Capital Selection Committee and UNESCO. The ASEAN Young Writers Award will be given annually and providing a platform for the creation of a new generation of writers as well as the cultivation of literary networks in the ASEAN region.
Candidates must be youth aged 15-24 years (as per the criteria set by UNESCO) on the date the work is submitted for competition.
A candidate must be a national of ASEAN member countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
A candidate must be a qualified writer of short story in national and/or English language.
The same criteria are applied throughout the region in selecting and judging the submitted entries as follows:
1) The entry must be in the form of a short story (no more than 3,000 words or 10 A4 pages), written in national and/or English language.
2) The entry must be the candidate’s own work, containing constructive content.
3) The entry must be an original work by the author, not a translation or adaptation of any previous work. In case of copyright infringement, the candidate shall be disqualified and solely responsible for the liabilities.
4) The entry must not have been previously submitted for, or won, any competition.
5) The contestant may submit the short stories in both national and English language, provided that they are different pieces of writing and of distinct content.
6) The Organizing Committee reserves the right to publish and promote the submitted works.
7) The Judging Committee’s decisions are final.
The Judging Committee comprises of a representative from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, a representative from Mahidol University, and prominent figures in national and/or international scene.
1. The work must be original.
2. The work must be imparted with literary finesse.
3. The work must contain constructive content.
Submission of Entries:
1) The entry must be submitted from 1 May to 30 June 2014.
2) The entry must be submitted in 1 hard copy and as Microsoft Word file (.doc) and Portable Document Format file (.pdf) recorded in a CD or DVD along with a filled Application Form and a certified copy of the contestant’s identification card.
3) The entry must be submitted by mail or in person to the Office of the ASEAN Young Writers Award Secretariat, 23/15 Soi Ruamruedee, Ploenchit Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10300 (In case the entry is submitted by mail, the postmark date shall be considered)
One top award will be given to qualified work in each category: National language and in English.
An inscribed Plaque trophy, graciously bestowed by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (in the process of obtainment)
A cash prize of 1,000 USD (Two prizes for each country, one for each of the winning works in national and English language)
Two awardees from each country shall travel to Bangkok for awarding ceremony and represent their countries at all ASEAN Event (Award Trip). Winners from Thailand shall attend a familiarization trip to the ASEAN Secretariat in Jakarta, Indonesia.
The winning works will be published and promoted through the project’s media channels.
Interested writers may find out more about the award details and download the application form through the project website at http://www.aseanyoungwriters.com or visitwww.facebook.com/aseanyoungwritersaward for further information.